There are certain foods and beverages that should be avoided during pregnancy to ensure the health and safety of both the mother and the developing fetus. Here are the top 10 foods and beverages to avoid during pregnancy:
- Raw or undercooked meat, poultry, fish and eggs: These foods can contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
- Soft cheeses: Some soft cheeses, such as feta, brie, and camembert, can contain listeria, a bacteria that can be harmful to the fetus.
- Raw fish: Some types of raw fish, such as sushi and sashimi, can contain harmful parasites and bacteria.
- Deli meats: Deli meats can contain listeria, a bacteria that can be harmful to the fetus.
- Caffeine: Excessive caffeine intake during pregnancy can lead to a lower birth weight and an increased risk of miscarriage.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause birth defects and developmental disorders.
- Fish with high levels of mercury: Fish such as swordfish, shark, king mackerel, and tilefish can contain high levels of mercury, which can be harmful to the developing fetus.
- Artificial sweeteners: Some artificial sweeteners have been linked to an increased risk of birth defects and developmental disorders.
- Unwashed fruits and vegetables: Eating fruits and vegetables that have not been washed properly can cause food poisoning.
- Unpasteurized juice and milk: These products can contain harmful bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian for personalized recommendations and to ensure that you are avoiding any food or drink that may be harmful to you and your baby. Additionally, it’s also important to inform your healthcare professional of any food allergies or food intolerances you may have.